Make a vegan version of this classic American dessert! This vegan cherry pie takes less than ten minutes to prep, uses minimal sugar, and can easily be made gluten free.
For this recipe, I recommend using frozen cherries. Frozen cherries come already pitted, so you don’t have to waste time taking the pits out of every single cherry. You also don’t have to waste time defrosting them- you can add them to the recipe straight out of the freezer. I also love using frozen cherries because they are picked at just the right time and then frozen, so they maintain all of their nutritional value.
If you are feeling lazy, you can throw the frozen cherries straight from the package into your bowl of ingredients. However, I recommend cutting the cherries in half because I find that they release more flavor this way.
In addition to the frozen cherries, you will need sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, corn starch, and a frozen pie crust. To make this recipe fully gluten free, use a gluten free pie crust.
Making your pie:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. While the oven is heating up, use a fork to poke some holes into the bottom of your pie crust. Once the oven has heated up, bake your pie crust for about ten minutes, until the edges are golden. This is so the crust doesn’t become soggy later when you add the filling.
To make your pie filling, start by adding the coconut sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, and corn starch to a bowl. Mix all of the ingredients.. Then, add the frozen cherries and mix until they are fully covered in the mixture.
Next, pour the pie filling into the pie crust. Bake for the pie for about 30 minutes.
Once your vegan cherry pie has cooked, you can top it with dairy free ice cream or whipped cream. Enjoy!
Below is a recipe video showing exactly how to recreate this recipe 🙂
If you’re a fan of pies, you might also enjoy these other vegan pie recipes:
Homemade Cherry Pie
- 4 cups frozen cherries
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- Juice from half a lemon
- Zest from half a lemon
- 3 tbsp corn starch
- 1 frozen pie crust
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- *Tip: use frozen cherries since they come pitted and you don’t have to waste time pitting them.
- **Another tip: Try cutting the cherries in half. This step isn’t necessary, but I found that the cherries released more flavor this way.
- In a large bowl, combine the cherries, coconut sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, and corn starch. This is your pie filling.
- *Note: no need to defrost the cherries, you can use them straight out of the freezer.
- Poke several hole on the bottom of your pie crust with a fork.
- Bake your frozen pie crust in the oven for about 10 minutes on 400*F (this is so the crust doesn’t get soggy).
- When your crust is done, pour the pie filling into the crust and bake for half an hour.