If you’re a fan of sweet potatoes, you’ll love this vegan sweet potato pie! It’s the perfect fall dessert to impress your friends and family with, and the absolute star of Thanksgiving dinner.
What you will need:
To start, you’re going to need about 3-4 large sweet potatoes. You need a total of 2 cups of sweet potatoes, so it’s better to boil more than less and just store the leftovers.
The rest of the ingredients you will need are coconut cream, maple syrup, coconut sugar, cornstarch, vanilla, allspice, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, a pinch of salt, and a frozen pie crust.
You can find coconut cream in a can, usually in the Asian food section of grocery stores.
If you want to make this recipe gluten free, use a gluten free crust. The pie filling itself is entirely gluten free 🙂
Making your sweet potato pie:
First, peel the sweet potatoes and use a fork to poke holes all around them. Then, place them in a pot of boiling water and boil them until they are so soft that you can easily poke a hole through them. This usually takes about 30 minutes or so.
*Time saver tip: I love using fresh sweet potatoes that I cook myself, but if you are in a hurry or are feeling lazy, you can replace the sweet potatoes with 1 can of pumpkin puree to make this recipe.
Once the sweet potatoes have cooked, remove them from the heat and drain the water. After they have cooled off a bit, mash them with a fork.
To a large bowl, add the sweet potatoes, coconut cream, maple syrup, coconut sugar, cornstarch, vanilla, allspice, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and a pinch of salt.
To mix them well, I recommend using a hand mixer or immersion blender. Mix the ingredients until they are well combined and you get a thick, creamy pie filling. Pour the pie filling into the pie crust.
Place your vegan sweet potato pie in your oven that you have preheated to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake for 50-60 minutes.
Top your sweet potato pie with vegan whipped cream or pecans and enjoy!
Vegan Sweet Potato Pie
- 2 cups sweet potato purée I boiled the sweet potatoes myself, but you can use a can of pumpkin instead
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 1/4 maple syrup
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar or any other sugar or sweetener of choice
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 teaspoons allspice
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- frozen pie crust
- If you want to make this pie with fresh sweet potato, then start by boiling the sweet potatoes. If you want to skip this step, you can use pumpkin puree from a can.
- To boil the sweet potatoes, peel them and poke holes all over them. Then place them in a pot of boiling water until they are soft enough that you can easily stick a fork into them.
- Once the potatoes are ready, let them cool off and mash them with a fork.
- In a large bowl, add the sweet potatoes (or pumpkin puree). Then add the coconut cream, maple syrup, coconut sugar, corn starch, vanilla, allspice, cinnamon, ginger, and a pinch of salt.
- Use a hand mixer or immersion blender to mix all of the ingredients well until you get a thick, smooth, and creamy pie filling.
- Pour the pie filling into the pie crust.
- Bake the pie for 50-60 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
If you love vegan pies, you might also like some of these recipes: