I am always looking for quick and easy breakfast recipes that I can grab on the go. I feel like I am always running out the door and need a snack that is both nutritious and satisfies my sweet tooth. That's why I love these healthy banana muffins!
What you'll need
The ingredients that you will need for this recipe are flour, bananas, coconut oil, almond milk, agave, vanilla, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and a pinch of salt.
A key for making banana muffins, or baking anything with bananas, is that you need to use ripe bananas. They need to at least be mostly covered in brown spots. Ripe bananas are sweeter and easier to mash. They are a great egg substitute in baking and a natural sweetener.
If you want to make these muffins gluten free, use a gluten free flour. I like using oat flour in these because it's almost like you're having oatmeal in a cup! Keep in mind that they will be slightly fluffier if you use a flour that has gluten. Either way, they will be delicious!
Once you have your ingredients, the recipe is pretty straightforward.
How to make your healthy banana muffins
In a large bowl, mash your banana and add all of the wet ingredients. Add the coconut oil, almond milk, agave, and vanilla.
In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients. These are the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix them well using a fork.
Add about one cup of the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. It makes mixing the ingredients easier if you add the dry ingredients slowly. It's also helpful if you use a hand mixer. Continue adding the dry ingredients until the wet and dry ingredients are fully combined.
At this point, you can add any fruit, nuts, or dried fruit to the recipe to spice things up. Walnuts, blueberries, or dried cranberries pair great with these muffins! For this recipe, I chose to go with plain banana muffins.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In the meantime, line your muffin pan with muffin liners. Then, add about 3-4 heaping tablespoons to each muffin cup.
Place the muffins in the oven and bake for about 30 minutes. To check if they are ready, stick a toothpick in the middle of one of the muffins. If it comes out dry without any batter on it, they are ready.
Enjoy your muffins!
If you make these, please tag me on Instagram! I love seeing what you guys make 🙂
Healthy Banana Muffins Recipe
- muffin pan
- muffin liners
- 2 cups flour use oat flour to make these gluten free
- 3 mashed bananas helps if they are soft and spotty
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup almond milk
- ½ cup agave
- 2 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix your dry ingredients- the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix the wet ingredients- the mashed bananas, coconut oil, almond milk, agave, and vanilla.
- Add half of the dry ingredients to the wet and mix well.
- Then add the rest of the dry ingredients. It helps to add the dry ingredients in two parts because it makes mixing easier. Also helps if you use a hand mixer, but that's totally optional.
- Line a muffin pan with muffin liners and pour the batter in the muffin cups.
- Bake for 30 minutes.