This vegan and gluten free banana bread is full of real fruit and is low in sugar. With so many fruity flavors, it reminds me of the fruit breads that are sold at Christmas markets all over Germany during the holiday season. This cranberry orange banana bread is perfect to make around the holidays, but is just as delicious during any time of the year!
What you will need:
For this recipe, the dry ingredients that you will need are: flour, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, ginger, and a dash of salt.
The wet ingredients you will need are: ripe bananas, coconut sugar, stevia, coconut oil, 2 flax eggs, and the juice and zest of an orange.
You will also need cranberries, but you will add those last. For this recipe, I used frozen cranberries. You can also use fresh or dried cranberries.
Notes about the ingredients:
Use whole wheat flour to make the bread more fluffy, or a gluten free flour (like the oat flour I used in this recipe) to make it gluten free.
Make sure that the bananas you use are ripe and have brown spots. Ripe bananas are sweeter so they naturally sweeten the recipe. They are also easier to mash and make for a great vegan egg substitute.
For this recipe, I used coconut sugar and stevia to keep the sugar and calories low. You can use whatever sweetener you would like. However, keep in mind that stevia is sweeter than regular sugar, so you might have to add more than the 1 tbsp that I have listed in this recipe.
How to make your vegan cranberry orange banana bread:
Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Make your two flax eggs by combining 2 tbsp of ground flax and 6 tbsp water. Set aside.
In a bowl, combine your dry ingredients (listed above).
In a separate bowl, combine your wet ingredients, including the flax eggs. Leave out the cranberries for now.
Combine the dry ingredients into the bowl of wet ingredients- it makes it easier to mix if you only pour about 1 cup of dry ingredients at a time.
Once all of the other ingredients have been combined, add the cup of cranberries.
Either line a loaf pan with either parchment paper, or grease it with coconut oil. This is so that the bread doesn’t stick to the pan.
Bake for about 1 hr and 15 minutes.
Check the bread by sticking a toothpick in it. If it comes out dry, it’s ready to devour. If the toothpick comes out with batter still on it, give it another 5 minutes.
Refrigerate you vegan cranberry orange banana bread for up to a week. I love eating this for breakfast throughout the week.
Vegan Cranberry Orange Banana Bread:
- 1 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- dash of salt
- 4 ripe bananas
- 4 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp stevia
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 flax eggs 1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp water
- juice from one orange use all of the juice of the orange
- 2 tbsp zest of an orange
- 1 cup cranberries fresh or frozen
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Make your two flax eggs by combining 2 tbsp of ground flax and 6 tbsp water. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine your dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, combine your wet ingredients, except the cranberries.
- Combine the dry ingredients into the bowl of wet ingredients- it makes it easier to mix if you only pour about 1 cup of dry ingredients at a time.
- Last, add the cup of frozen cranberries.
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper or greast it with coconut oil. This is so that the bread doesn't stick to the pan.
- Bake the bread at 350*F for about 1 hr and 15 minutes.
- Check on the bread by sticking a toothpick in it. If it comes out dry, it’s ready to devour.