Reese’s have always been one of my favorite candy, so I decided to make a vegan, gluten free healthy version of them. The ingredients are simple, and the recipe itself is super easy to make. Hope you try these homemade peanut butter cups!
What you will need:
2 bars of vegan dark chocolate, 1 cup of natural creamy peanut butter, 3 tbsp of coconut sugar, a pinch of sea salt.
You will also need a mini muffin pan and some mini cupcake liners.
This recipe makes 24 peanut butter cups. I like to make a big batch of these so that I can keep them in the fridge or freezer and enjoy them throughout the week. If you want to make less, simply cut the recipe in half.
How to make your peanut butter cups:
First, start by lining your mini muffin pan with mini muffin/cupcake cups.
Then, melt your chocolate. Add about 1 tbsp of melted chocolate to each cup. Then place in the freezer until it hardens.
There are two ways to make these peanut butter cups. I have included photos of both. You can either have cups that have a clear layer of chocolate, peanut butter, then chocolate. You can also have a closed peanut butter cup that looks more like a traditional Reese’s cup.
If you would like your peanut butter cups to be chocolatey all around like Reese’s cups, this is the step where you would do this. While the chocolate is still melted and before you place the cups in the freezer, use a spoon to smear chocolate from the bottom of the muffin cup to the sides of the muffin cup. This is a little hard to explain in words without demonstrating. I have created a little video that shows this process that you can find at the bottom of this post. Hope that helps 🙂
While your chocolate is hardening in the freezer, combine your creamy peanut butter and powdered sugar together. To make this a little healthier, I made my own coconut powdered sugar by grinding coconut sugar in a blender.
Once your chocolate has hardened, take the cups out of the freezer. Then add a tablespoon of the peanut butter mixture to each cup.
Add another tablespoon of melted chocolate on top. Place in the freezer until this top layer of chocolate has hardened.
Once you take the peanut butter cups out, sprinkle some sea salt and enjoy!
I am personally obsessed with the peanut butter and chocolate combination. If you are looking for more peanut butter chocolate recipes, you might like these:
- chocolate pretzel bark
- vegan chocolate rice crispy treats
- peanut butter chocolate pretzels
- peanut butter truffle bites
Peanut Butter Cups
- 2 bars of dark chocolate
- 1 cup natural peanut butter
- 3 tbsp powdered sugar I ground up coconut sugar in a blender to create powdered sugar
- Sea salt to top
- Line a mini muffin pan with small muffin cups.
- Break up your chocolate and microwave for 30 second increments in a microwave safe bowl.
- Pour about 1 tbsp of melted chocolate into each muffin cup. This recipe makes about 24 mini peanut butter cups.
- Place the cups in the fridge until they harden.
- While the first layer of chocolate is solidifying, combine your peanut butter and powdered sugar.
- Pour about 1 tbsp of peanut butter & sugar mix into each cup.
- Then pour another tbsp of chocolate to top off each peanut butter cup.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and refrigerate until the chocolate has hardened.