When we think of banana splits, we often envision towering sundaes filled with ice cream, whipped cream, and sugary toppings. However, with a little creativity and some healthy ingredients, we can transform this indulgent dessert into a nutritious treat that can be enjoyed for breakfast or as a satisfying snack. This healthy banana split recipe incorporates fresh fruit, yogurt, and other nutritious ingredients, providing a delightful twist to the traditional banana split.
With this incredibly easy and delicious healthy banana split, you can enjoy an indulgent treat without having to sacrifice on taste. This fun snack is made with no added sugar, just the natural sugars from the banana and the berries, and maybe some from the granola and yogurt, if you don't use unsweetened versions of those. You can even enjoy this treat as a healthy breakfast, which is actually my favorite way to eat it!
This easy breakfast treat is perfect for everyone. It's great if you need to make a quick breakfast because you don't have a lot of time- this snack is ready in minutes! It's even a great snack to make with kids because it's a lot of fun to put together and really easy too.
What you'll need
- a medium banana: I recommend using a ripe banana.
- vegan yogurt: I chose to make this recipe vegan, but you can use whatever kind of yogurt you like such as Greek yogurt or any kind of plain yogurt.
- granola: I love making my own homemade plant-based granola. Try this delicious vegan granola recipe, if you want a homemade version!
- fresh blueberries
- peanut butter
Other topping options
I chose to top my healthy banana split with yogurt, granola, and fresh berries, but there are so many other topping options that you might enjoy! Here are some other delicious options with which you can top your banana split.
- dark chocolate chips or cacao nibs
- chia seeds or pumpkin seeds: for some more healthy fats
- maple syrup: I think this recipe has enough natural sweetness because of the banana and berries, but if you have more of a sweet tooth, you can always add some maple, agave, or honey.
- chocolate sauce
- almond butter or cashew butter: I chose to top my banana split with peanut butter, but you can use any other kind of nut butter that you like.
- maraschino cherries: if you want a topping that will really remind you of classic banana splits, you can even go with a classic maraschino cherry on top!
Adding more protein to this delicious banana split
If you want to add even more protein to this delicious breakfast, there are several delicious options.
The first and easiest option is that you can mix in protein powder into the yogurt that you use.
You may have seen the viral cottage cheese trend that has been really popular this year. Cottage cheese is high in protein and a great option to substitute for the yogurt in this recipe. However, cottage cheese isn't vegan. If you want a dairy free version of cottage cheese try my recipe for the best quick and easy vegan cottage cheese.
How to make this breakfast banana split recipe
Slice a banana down the middle and peel off the peel from each of the banana halves.
Place them in a plate and top with creamy dairy-free yogurt, granola, berries, more fresh fruit, and a drizzle of peanut butter.
Slice and enjoy!
Eating a healthy banana split doesn't mean sacrificing taste or enjoyment. By incorporating fresh fruit, yogurt, and other nutritious ingredients, you can create a delicious alternative to the classic banana split. Whether enjoyed as a fun breakfast, a satisfying snack, or a creative school snack, this recipe is a perfect treat for those who prioritize healthy eating. So, grab your favorite toppings, follow this recipe, and savor every bite of your wholesome and delightful banana split!
More breakfast inspiration
Healthy Banana Split
- 1 banana
- vegan yogurt
- peanut butter
- Slice a banana down the middle and peel off the peel.
- Place them in a plate and top with creamy dairy-free yogurt, granola, berries, and a drizzle of peanut butter.
- Slice and enjoy!