Love coffee everything? Then you’re definitely going to love this dairy-free coffee ice cream recipe! It’s even better when it’s transformed into a coffee ice cream bar! Truly, this rich vegan dessert is the perfect way to enjoy the flavors of bittersweet coffee on a hot summer day.
For me, coffee is a daily ritual in the morning. I love having slow mornings while I sip my cup of coffee. But since I also just love the flavor of coffee I’ve discovered ways of adding it to treats and recipes.
This vegan coffee ice cream recipe is just one of my creations and it makes a great dairy-free option for traditional ice cream! If you love coffee too, try my whipped coffee and vegan tiramisu recipes to satisfy your sweet tooth and coffee craving at the same time.
Let's get started making one of my favorite ice cream recipes, vegan coffee ice cream!
Why You Will Love The Best Coffee Ice Cream
- It's going to be your favorite way to enjoy coffee ice cream! And you can even make it into bars or simply enjoy it scooped into a bowl.
- A delicious creamy homemade coffee ice cream served up in a bar for easy eating and cleanup!
- These ice cream bars have the perfect creamy texture on the outside and a crunchy chocolate shell.
- Easy to make vegan ice cream bars! No need for a high-speed blender or ice cream machine!
- Homemade ice cream made with natural ingredients for a dessert you feel good about enjoying!
What You'll Need to Make Homemade Coffee Ice Cream Recipe
This delicious ice cream recipe is made with simple ingredients you can find in your grocery store. Here's a look at the highlights:
- Coconut cream: This ingredient is the thick coconut milk found in canned coconut milk that separates from the water. Refrigerating the can of coconut milk will solidify this at the top of the can to make it easy to scoop out. Make sure you are using full-fat coconut milk.
- Cashews: Use raw cashews and ensure you have soaked them beforehand. This makes them softer so they will blend up creamier.
- Maple syrup: A less processed sweetener that makes these vegan ice cream bars perfectly sweet yet skips the refined sugar!
- Vanilla extract: For the best flavor I highly recommend using pure vanilla extract rather than imitation vanilla.
- Cacao powder: A less processed, dark chocolate powder that will give this vegan coffee ice cream more mocha flavor. Coffee and chocolate are a match made in heaven!
- Instant coffee powder: An easy way to add intense coffee flavor without any additional liquid which may alter the outcome of the ice cream.
- Salt: Don’t skip it! Adding a pinch of salt really enhances the flavors and brings everything together.
- Dark chocolate chips: These melted chocolate chips will create the crunchy chocolate shell on these ice cream bars.
- Equipment: For making chocolate coffee bars, you will need a popsicle mold and popsicle sticks.
Substitutions and Variations
Here are some ideas for changing up your healthy ice cream bars!
- Chocolate chip coffee ice cream bars: Chop up some extra dark chocolate chips into small pieces and stir into the coffee ice mixture just before pouring in the molds.
- Vanilla extract: Change it up for almond extract to add a slightly different flavor.
- Experiment with spices: You could add a touch of cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, or even a cinnamon-cayenne pepper combo to the ice cream base for a spin on your vegan coffee bars.
- Skip the caffeine: If you're cutting back on caffeine, swap the instant coffee granules for decaf coffee powder.
How to Make Vegan Coffee Ice Cream
This coffee-flavored ice cream bar recipe is a snap to make requiring very minimal prep time! Follow these instructions and tips to make a perfect sweet treat the whole family will love!
PRO TIP: The night before you make vegan coffee ice cream you need to refrigerate your can of coconut milk and soak the cashews. This way everything is ready to go the next day to make your vegan ice cream.
- Open up the can of coconut milk and scoop out the coconut cream which is on the top of the liquid.
- Add the coconut cream, cashews, maple, vanilla, cacao powder, instant coffee, and salt to your blender. Blend the mixture for several minutes until it is creamy and smooth.
- Set up your popsicle mold with sticks and then divide the ice cream between the molds.
PRO TIP: The number of bars may vary depending on the size of your ice cream mold. For me, this recipe made four 1.5 inch x 2.7 inch ice cream bars. I used this ice cream mold by Ouddy.
- Freeze the bars for at least six hours so they are frozen solid.
- Place the dark chocolate chips in a tall glass and microwave in 30 seconds intervals stirring with a fork after each interval. Repeat this process until all of the chocolate has melted.
- Dip each vegan coffee ice cream bar into the glass until fully covered in chocolate. The chocolate will very quickly harden because of the cold from the ice cream.
- Decorate the outside of the bars if you’d like. I added some vegan caramel sauce and coffee beans for decor to mine!
- Once they're ready, bite into the cold creaminess and enjoy!
- Store vegan coffee ice cream bars in the freezer for up to one month in an airtight container. You may want to let them sit out at room temperature for a few minutes before serving to allow them to soften up slightly.
- Trouble removing your ice cream bars from the mold? If so, don’t worry. Run the mold under slightly warm water and they should slide right out.
- Make sure you are using the coconut cream without the water in the can of coconut milk. It has a higher fat content which is best for making rich and creamy vegan ice cream.
- Don't forget to soak your cashews and refrigerate your canned coconut milk overnight!
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, of course! Instead of using a mold, pour the blended ice cream into a pan. Freeze for 6-8 hours and then use an ice cream scoop to scoop it out and serve it up in a bowl.
Yes, you can! You can use an ice tray or silicone muffin molds or baking pan instead! Allow it to freeze for 1-2 hours and then insert a popsicle stick. Since the mixture is slightly frozen, they will stay in place.
More Vegan Dessert Recipes
Vegan Coffee Ice Cream Recipe (+Ice Cream Bars!)
- 4 popsicle molds
- 4 popsicle sticks
Vegan Ice Cream
- ¾ cup coconut cream refrigerated overnight, just the solids in the can (no liquid)
- ½ cup cashews 80 grams, heaping cup, soaked
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee
- pinch salt
Chocolate Shell For Bars
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- Refrigerate a can of coconut milk overnight. When you open it up in the morning, a solid will have formed at the top- this is the coconut cream. Scoop it out and measure out ¾ cup.
- Soak cashews overnight. You will also need to soak the cashews overnight in water to soften them before adding them to the recipe. If you forget to do this, you can also soak them in boiling hot water for 1-2 hours before making the recipe. This is important becasue soaking the cashews makes them nice and soft. The softened cashews make the creamy texture of the ice cream.
Make Ice Cream Mixture
- To a blender, add the coconut cream, cashews, maple, vanilla, cacao powder, instant coffee, and salt. Blend everything for several minutes until it is nice and creamy and smooth.
Make Vegan Coffee Ice Cream for Scooping
- Pour the blended ice cream mixture into a pan.
- Freeze for 6-8 hours.
- Use an ice cream scoop to scoop it out and serve into bowls.
Make Ice Cream Bars
- Add the popsicle sticks to the molds, then divide the ice cream between the molds. You should get about 4 ice cream bars.
- Place the bars in the freezer for 6-8 hours, until they have frozen solid.
- Melt the dark chocolate chips in a tall glass. Melt them by placing them in the microwave for 30 seconds, then stir the chocolate around with a fork, and microwaving again. Repeat this until all of the chocolate has melted.
- Remove the ice cream bars from the molds and dip each one until fully covered in the chocolate.
- The chocolate will very quickly harden because of the cold from the ice cream.
- I chose to top mine with vegan caramel sauce and coffee beans for decor, but this part is optional.
- Once the ice cream bars are ready, bite into them and enjoy!