There’s nothing wrong with buying store bought pasta sauce, but there really is nothing more delicious than making your own homemade version. It tastes so fresh, and you get the added bonus of putting exactly what you want in there, with no added ingredients or preservatives that you don’t want. This recipe is vegan, gluten free, and not to mention super easy!
You can add this pasta sauce to any dish you like. My favorite ways to utilize it are in this vegan spaghetti and meatball recipe or in a vegan “meatball” sub. I will attach images of both of those throughout the post.
Start by chopping your tomatoes and setting them aside. You don’t need to worry about chopping them neatly because you will later be blending them.
Next, chop the onion and mince or finely chop the garlic. In a pan over medium heat, add them along with the olive oil. Cook for several minutes, until the garlic and onions start to release their flavor.
After about five minutes, add the tomatoes to the pan and cook for another ten to fifteen minutes, while stirring frequently so they cook evenly.
Transfer the tomatoes, onion, and garlic from the pan to a blender and blend them until you get the desired consistency of pasta sauce. If you like chunky sauce, only do a couple of pulses. If you prefer your sauce smooth, blend for longer.
In another pan over medium, add a little bit of olive oil and the tomato paste. Again, cook it for several minutes until the flavors are released. After about 2-4 minutes, add the blended tomatoes, onion, and garlic to the pan and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
*Tip: if you want a little bit of vegan cheesy flavor and some added B12, you can also add nutritional yeast.
Your homemade pasta sauce is ready! Add it to your favorite pasta and enjoy. It tastes especially amazing right after you cook it. You can also store it in the refrigerator about a week.
Homemade Pasta Sauce
- 1 lb of chopped tomatoes
- olive oil
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 small can of tomato paste 6 oz
- salt and pepper
- Dice up your tomatoes, onions, and garlic.
- In a pan, add 2-3 tbsp of olive oil and add the onion and garlic. Cook for about 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Then add your tomatoes and cook for about 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the tomatoes, onions, and garlic from the heat and blend the mixture in a blender until smooth.
- In a new pan, add another tablespoon of oil and cook the tomato paste for several minutes.
- Then add the blended mixture of tomatoes, onions, and garlic.
- Cook for another 2-3 minutes and add your salt and pepper to taste.