This double chocolate banana bread recipe is a rich, chocolatey version of the classic banana bread. It has a deep dark chocolate flavor that makes it taste a little bit like chocolate cake but with a yummy addition of banana flavor. This vegan version is made with simple ingredients you can find at the grocery store and is the perfect sweet treat for any chocolate lover or anyone with a sweet tooth.
What kind of bananas to use for your double chocolate chip banana bread
The best kind of bananas to use in any banana bread are extra ripe bananas. You want to either use fully brown bananas, or at least over-ripe bananas with lots of brown spots.
What kind of flour to use
I like to use whole wheat flour because of the higher nutritional content as opposed to all purpose flour. I like white whole wheat flour/ whole wheat pastry flour because it has been more finely ground and works great in baking recipes. If you don't have any white whole wheat flour, you can use other flour. Regular whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, or oat flour would work great in this recipe. When using oat flour, just keep in mind that the final product will be slightly less fluffy because oat flour doesn't contain any gluten. If you wanted another gluten free flour option, you could also use a 1:1 gluten free baking flour. This recipe will not work with coconut flour or almond flour.
What you'll need to make this double chocolate banana bread recipe
- white whole wheat flour: see flour notes above for other flour options.
- cacao powder: In this recipe, I chose to use natural unprocessed cacao powder. cacao powder is nutritious and high in iron, magnesium, and potassium. This is why I prefer baking with cacao powder, but you can definitely substitute it for cocoa powder. Dutch process cocoa powder and unsweetened cocoa powder work great in this recipe.
- coconut sugar: brown sugar or white sugar will work as well.
- baking powder
- espresso powder: this is optional, but it brings out the chocolate flavors in the recipe.
- sea salt
- overripe bananas
- ground flax seeds
- maple syrup
- vegan yogurt: I used vegan yogurt to keep the recipe dairy-free, but you can also use Greek yogurt. If you don't have any on hand, sour cream can also work.
- melted coconut oil: you can also use vegetable oil, olive oil, or canola oil.
- vanilla extract
To fold in
- dark chocolate chips: I used vegan chocolate chips, but you can use semisweet chocolate chips, milk chocolate chips, or dark chocolate chunks instead. You can even chop up a chocolate bar and add that to the banana bread.
The full instructions, recipe ratios, and nutritional information are all in the recipe card at the bottom of the post. If you tried and liked this recipe, you can also leave a comment and rating there, which goes such a long way to help out my work!
- potato masher or fork to mash up the bananas
- a large mixing bowl
- a loaf pan
- kitchen scale (optional): this is not a requirement because you can use measuring cups instead, but I find that it can sometimes be tricky to get the exact amount of flour using a measuring cup, and weighing the flour is the best way to ensure correct measuring. This is why I have included the grams for this recipe in the recipe card. You can just make this recipe using measuring cups, but make sure you are measuring correctly. Here is a great video showing how to correctly measure flour.
How to make the double chocolate banana bread recipe
Start by peeling and mashing the ripe bananas in a large bowl. Then add all the rest of the wet ingredients to the mashed bananas.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix those together. You can use a stand mixer or electric mixer to do this, but I just used a whisk.
After the batter has formed, fold in the chocolate chips.
Grease a loaf pan with oil and line it with parchment paper. Then pour the batter into the prepared pan and add extra chocolate chips on top. Bake the bread for 55-60 minutes at 350*F/ 175*C.
Note: another option for topping the chocolate banana bread is to top it with an extra banana. You can slice a banana in half the long way and place it on top. This will create a caramelized banana topping for the bread and it makes for a delicious topping if you wanted something other than more chocolate chips on top.
Remove the loaf from the oven, place it on a wire rack and allow it to cool off at room temperature for 10-15 minutes, then slice it and enjoy!
I love adding vegan melted butter and flakey salt, melted dark chocolate, or peanut butter on top of each slice.
If you liked this chocolate banana bread recipe, you might also like these other delicious loaves
- vegan chocolate chip banana bread recipe
- starbucks lemon loaf recipe
- vegan gingerbread loaf
- vegan blueberry cake
Double Chocolate Banana Bread Recipe
- large mixing bowl
- loaf pan
- potato masher
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour 130 g
- ½ cup cacao powder
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 flax eggs 2 tablespoon ground flax + 6 tablespoon water
- 3-4 ripe bananas 1.5 cups mashed
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup vegan yogurt
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 1-2 teaspoon vanilla extract
To fold in
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips ¾ cup to fold in the loaf, ¼ cup sprinkled on top of the loaf
- Start by peeling and mashing the ripe bananas. Then add all the rest of the wet ingredients.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix those together. After the batter has formed, fold in the chocolate chips.
- Grease a loaf pan with oil and line it with parchment paper. Then pour the batter into the pan and bake the bread for 55-60 minutes at 350*F/ 175*C.
- Remove the loaf from the oven, allow it to cool, then slice it and enjoy! I love adding vegan butter and flakey salt or melted dark chocolate on top.
How to store the chocolate banana bread
To store this banana bread, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or place it in an airtight container and refrigerate it.
How to freeze double chocolate banana bread
Once the banana bread has been baked and fully cooled, you can freeze it by wrapping it tightly in plastic wrap or placing it in a freezer bag. You can also slice up the bread and place the individual slices in an airtight container.
When you want to eat it again, take it out of the freezer and let it thaw. Once it has thawed, place it in a 350*F preheated oven and bake for about 30 minutes (less time if you are thawing individual slices).
Thank you for the excellent recipe!
I was on the hunt for a recipe with no eggs and using whole wheat flour.
I made your recipe, only subbing coconut oil with extra virgin olive oil, and the bread came out moist, delicious and chocolate-y! My family loved it. I have my second attempt of this recipe in the oven right now!
Thank you for the excellent recipe!
I was on the hunt for a recipe with no eggs and using whole wheat flour. I followed your recipe, only subbing coconut oil with extra virgin olive oil, and the banana bread came out moist, delicious and chocolate-y! My family loved it.
I have my second attempt of this recipe in the oven right now!
I'm so so happy to hear this Seema ! 🙂 Thank you so much for trying my recipe <3