I absolutely love creating healthy versions of delicious desserts. The best is when you get a final product that’s super easy to make, tastes just as delicious and indulgent as the original recipe, but is so much better for you! Such is the case with this vegan dark chocolate mousse.
This recipe only requires five ingredients- plant based yogurt, dark chocolate, almond milk, maple syrup, and vanilla extract. I like to use unsweetened coconut yogurt with added probiotics. I like to keep the sugar low and add some good bacteria for gut health. Of course, you can use whatever yogurt you want.
For the dark chocolate, I also like using one that is low in sugar and has a high cacao percentage, since dark chocolate contains magnesium and zinc.
To keep the sugar low, you can also make sure that the almond milk is unsweetened and you can replace the maple syrup with stevia, or another low calorie sweetener that you like.
Making your chocolate mousse:
Making this vegan dark chocolate mousse will only take you about ten minutes.
Start by melting the dark chocolate in a saucepan over medium heat. Chop it up in small pieces and stir it around with a fork to help it melt faster and prevent it from burning.
Once the chocolate has melted, add the almond milk, maple syrup, and vanilla. Give it a good stir and once the ingredients are well combined, remove from the heat.
Add the yogurt to the chocolate sauce and stir it well. Then transfer the mousse to cups. This makes about four cups of chocolate mousse. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours. The dark chocolate will harden and create a thick mousse consistency.
Once your vegan dark chocolate mousse is ready, add raspberries, vegan whipped cream, or any other toppings of choice!
Vegan Dark Chocolate Mousse
- 2 cups plant based yogurt or yogurt of your choice
- 3.5 oz dark chocolate
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Fresh raspberries & coconut whipped cream to top
- Melt the chocolate in a saucepan over the stove.
- Add the almond milk, maple syrup, and vanilla to the saucepan with the chocolate.
- Take the saucepan off the heat & add the yogurt to the mixture.
- Stir well and transfer the mousse into cups.
- Refrigerate for 1-2 hours, until the mousse is solid.
- Top it off the mousse with some raspberries and whipped cream.