Sugar cookies have always been one of my favorites. Unfortunately, most cookies sold in stores have eggs and dairy in them, not to mention a bunch of unhealthy ingredients and preservatives. Luckily, they are super easy to make, so this holiday season I’m making vegan snowflake sugar cookies for the whole family to enjoy!
This year for Christmas, my mom thought she would utilize my love for baking to help her around the holidays and she asked me to make some holiday cookies for the family for Christmas. Well, she probably didn’t realize what she was getting herself into when she asked because we now have five different types of Christmas cookies at home and we have been eating cookies for breakfast, lunch, and dinner for the past week. There are just too many amazing holiday cookie recipes to try out that I had to make them all!
My first attempt were the vegan snowflake sugar cookies. I definitely had a few failed attempts, but after Googling and reading some tips on baking, I learned a few crucial tips that helped me perfect these cookies.
One key thing to remember is to refrigerate the batter for several hours once you make it. This is especially important if you plan on cutting the cookies out and making shapes with them. If you don’t, the batter is too mushy and the shapes fall apart (I learned this the hard way). I tried adding more flour to the mixture to fix my original problem, but this resulted in the cookies tasting too floury. If you are planning on making regular, round sugar cookies, this step is not absolutely crucial, but definitely do it if you plan on cutting out shapes from your batter!
Here is the recipe and steps on how I made these vegan snowflake sugar cookies!
Want more delicious vegan holiday treat recipes? Try making Vegan Gingerbread Cookies !
Vegan Snowflake Sugar Cookies
- 1 cup vegan butter “I can’t believe it’s not Butter has a vegan version that I like and “Earth Balance” butter is always vegan
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar also known as confectioner’s sugar
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour or flour of your choice
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- First use a hand mixer to beat the butter until it is smooth (you may want to leave the butter to sit out of the fridge for a while before you begin baking so it is easier to mix).
- Add the sugar and then mix again until you get a smooth consistency.
- Keep adding the rest of the ingredients and mixing.
- After all of your ingredients are combined, wrap your dough tightly in a plastic wrap and refrigerate it for at least an hour*.
- When you are ready to roll out your dough, flour the surface on which you will be rolling it out and flour your rolling pin also. Roll out your dough.
- Cut out your shapes and have fun!! I made mine snowflake shaped because I was making them for Christmas, but you can make them into whatever shape you like!
- Bake for about 8-10 minutes on 350 degrees. Let cool for at least 30 minutes.