It’s the time of year that calls for comfort food and I’m answering the calls! A couple of weeks ago, I was thinking about pasta (as I normally do), and I realized that I had not had Mac and Cheese since I went vegan a whole two and a half years ago. That means I had not had Mac and Cheese in OVER TWO YEARS! I don’t know why I had not thought of it sooner, but I took it upon myself to immediately fix this problem by making my own vegan mac and cheese!
There are a variety of vegan mac and cheese recipes online, and I experimented with a couple before I came up with my own favorite recipe. I found that there are a two key ingredients in vegan mac and cheese- cashews and nutritional yeast. Both ingredients are great vegan cheese replacers and, in my opinion, a lot healthier too!
I am also not a carb-hater, but I prefer going for healthier options like chickpea or veggie pastas. They taste just as delicious, and why not get some extra nutrition while you’re having fun with your favorite food!
For this recipe, I used Eat Banza’s chickpea pasta (I thought the wheel shapes were extra fun). They are a brand that has some really great chickpea pastas. I have also found some great veggie pastas from Barilla, and Explore Cuisine has an awesome black bean version. As an added bonus, all of these are also gluten-free. This is a great option if you are gluten intolerant!
So, without further ado, here is my current favorite recipe for a delicious vegan and cheese. Enjoy it as a cozy meal on a cold day, or really any time of the year because there is never a wrong time for some awesome Mac and Cheese 😉
Vegan Mac and Cheese
- 1/2 cup soaked cashews
- 1/2 cup sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup potatoes
- 1/3 cup yellow onion
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup coconut milk from a can
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp juice from a lemon
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- Boil your sweet potatoes, regular potatoes, and onions over the stove for about 15 minutes.
- When they are so soft that you can easily poke a hole through them, remove them from the water and throw them in a food processor.
- Add the of your ingredients to the food processor.
- Make sure that you soak your cashews overnight in water before you make this. If you forget to do this overnight, you can soak them for about an hour in boiling water.
- Blend all of your ingredients together in the food processor. I like my cheese sauce super thick, but if you feel like it's too thick for you, feel free to add a little bit of water or plant based milk.
- Cook your pasta according to the package instructions.
- Drain and rinse your pasta. Then pour your cheese sauce over it.