Recently, I have been really getting into vegan comfort foods. I started eating a plant based diet over four years ago, and I have never missed meat, eggs, or cheese before, but I have seen some really cool alternatives to those products and it has been fun for me to try then out and experiment with them in recipes. I wanted to share this cute and easy vegan “eggs and bacon” breakfast recipe with you all!
What you will need
There are so many amazing plant based alternatives out there, and I support them all. Just Egg and Lightlife veggie bacon are the two that I used in this recipe. Both can be found at Whole Foods, and more and more often you can find them and non specialty grocery stores as well. While there are many plant based bacon products available, Just Egg is the only vegan egg alternative that I am aware of.
For this recipe, I also used some rye bread. I don’t have a specific brand for the bread I used, I buy it from a bakery near my house. I also added some fresh veggies. Fresh peppers and cucumbers is what I had in the fridge, but you can add whatever you have at home or whatever you find tasty.
Putting your vegan eggs and bacon breakfast together
The first thing I did was cut out a heart shape into my bread. My mom used to always do this when I was little when she would cut out a hole in a piece of bread and cook an egg inside it. I’m not aware what that recipe is called, so if you know, please let me know! I wanted to cut out a heart shape, just to make it cute.
I added some oil to a pan and placed the bread on the pan. Then I poured Just Egg onto it until it filled the hole. I let it cook until the “egg” was fully cooked. Note: I wouldn’t recommend trying to flip it. I did that and it fell apart for me LOL.
Once I cooked the egg all the way through, I also cooked the veggie bacon in the same pan for a few minutes on each side.
Finally, I just added them all to a bowl and added the fresh veggies 🙂
This is more of a fun idea rather than a recipe, but I still wanted to share it with you all!
If you like this vegan breakfast, you might also like this vegan breakfast bagel or these vegan blueberry pancakes.
Vegan Eggs and Bacon Breakfast
- "Just Egg" vegan egg substitute
- veggie bacon I used Lightlife
- fresh veggies of choice I added cucumber and peppers
- Start by cutting out a hole in the middle of the bread. I cut mine into a heart shape.
- Coat both sides of the toast with oil (I used avocado oil).
- Place the piece of bread on a pan over medium heat. Cook the bread on the pan for a few minutes, until it gets crispy, then flip it.
- Once you flip the bread, pour Just Egg into the hole inside the bread.
- Cook until the "egg" has cooked all the way through.
- Now it's time to cook the veggie bacon. In the same pan, cook the veggie bacon for a few minutes on each side.
- Finally, put it all together. Add the egg toast, bacon, and fresh veggies to your plate and enjoy!